Rangers Top Roadrunners 3-2 in RMAC Match

Rangers Top Roadrunners 3-2 in RMAC Match

The Ranger men's soccer program notched a win on their belts today after an RMAC Conference match hosted by Metro State.  The Roadrunners went up 2-1 on the Rangers early in the second half, but the Rangers prevailed in the end edging two more goals on the Runners propelling them to a 3-2 victory.

The first goal of the game occurred late in the first half by the foot of midfielder Logan Miller.  The Rangers were fouled within the 18 yard box.  Miller took the penalty kick for the Rangers edging it past the Metro State goalie.

In the 52nd minute, Roadrunner midfielder Chris Yoder sent the ball downfield.  While Ranger goalie Ben Sabados was charging to stop the ball, Metro's forward Scott Grode sent a header over him to the back of the net to tie the game.

The Runners scored again in the 59th minute.  Yoder sent a corner kick into the pack in front of the Ranger goal.  Defender Andrew Mejia used the cross to header a goal into the back of the net to bring them up 2-1.

Rangers used their one-goal deficit to fuel themselves into action.  In the 70th minute, midfielder Stephen Reed sent a free kick towards the Roadrunner goal.  After a challenge in the box, the ball dropped to Miller and he volleyed the ball from waste high to earn a Ranger goal, bringing the score to 2-2. 

"We were down 2-1 and that was our third free kick in a row, so we had to know it was coming," commented Miller.  "Luckily, the keeper came out and missed the ball and it was an opportunity at the goal." 

"We battled hard and deserved it," continued Miller.  "We have a lot of guys beat up, and the guys that stepped up from the bench played really well."

The Rangers kept the game from going into overtime when they scored again in the 80th minute of play.  Reed sent another free kick toward the Runner goal.  Defender Jordan Spring was there to header the game-winning goal into the back of the net.

"The goal was awesome," stated Spring.  "Then I thought, all right, it's time to play defense."

"Going up first, I had a lot of hope, but then they scored and it almost killed our spirits," continued Spring.  "When they scored again, it was all urgency.  We just had to get another one." 

The men had 10 shots, five of which were on goal.  Goalkeeper Scott Brown started the game and tallied one save.  After an injury, Sabados took control between the posts earning himself five saves on the day

 "I think today was totally about character and a lot of our younger players grew up," stated Head Coach Tony McCall.  "At this stage of the season, everybody's a little battered, but we came in and did extremely well."

"Obviously we lost two big players in Scotty and Taylor, but these younger players came in and did their jobs," he continued.  "The players showed fantastic character, every one of them performed immensely today and did a fantastic job."

The men will play CSU-Pueblo at 4:30 PM in Pueblo on Friday, October 14th.